Samuel Eto’o, President of FECAFOOT, announces dates and decisions:
- The 2022/2023 season starts for the MTN Elite One league on October 15, 2022. The last match day before the start of the World Cup in Qatar is November 7, 2022. The championship round will continue on January 7, 2023 and is scheduled to end in April 2023.
- The MTN Elite Two league will hold the first day of play on October 29, 2022. The league will pause during the soccer World Cup until January 7, 2023 and will continue thereafter.
- It is planned that the Cameroon Cup will start in March 2023 and end with the final in May 2023.
- The clubs again play in two groups, A and B. The top two of each group play in the league round. The last two dismount.
- The match for the Champions Trophy – Cameroonian champions vs. Cameroonian cup winners will take place on October 12, 2022.
- The Ballon d’Ore will be awarded on the same day. This event honors the best players in Cameroon.
- Training seminars for club managers are to be held so that the clubs can be better managed in the future.
- Each club of the MTN Elite One and the MTN Elite Two receives 48,000,000 FCFA (approx. 73,200 euros) from the association.
- The champion of the 2022/2023 season will receive a bonus of 50,000,000 FCFA (approx. 76,100 euros) and another bonus of 50,000,000 FCFA for participating in the CAF Champions League.
- President Samuel Eto’o announces that the remaining state grants to the clubs will be paid out as soon as the money is available.
My Opinion: The hopes I had in Samuel Eto’o’s presidency seem to be gradually being realized. The President shows that he wants change and that he has the power to make change happen.
I hope that controls are built into the allocation of subsidies and bonuses so that some people don’t think that the money is for them to improve their personal standard of living.It should now be possible for the players, who are the clubs’ assets, to finally be given the necessary appreciation and receive their contractually agreed salary and bonuses on time. Conversely, it can be assumed that presidents or other club officials have unlawfully enriched themselves from unpaid salaries and bonuses.
A good idea is to install the “Ballon d’Ore”.
“Football” must not only be something that takes place in the stadium. Football events, like the Ballon d’Ore awards, put the best players in the limelight and the event should eventually become a social event with high public interest and people saying, ‘I was there! “
A good executive board – management – is the prerequisite for a smooth and profitable operation of a company.
Football clubs are companies, also in Cameroon. Unfortunately, many employees in clubs do not have the necessary training to help them run such a company successfully. If the training seminars were to go in this direction, it would be a step towards further professionalization of the clubs.s direction, it would be a step towards further professionalization of the clubs.